|Fri May 24, 2013|
Welcome to our agency website. We hope you will read our homepage carefully, and that you'll have an informative visit. Be sure to read of our interests, and those subjects in which we have no interest in representing.
Sligo Literary Agency, a no-fee to the author agency (see our contract by clicking through to Services and Fees, has been successfully selling our author's manuscripts to publishing houses since 1996, working with the largest New York City publishers, as well as smaller regional and University presses. If you have an engaging story to tell, be it fiction or nonfiction, and you have tremendous talent as a writer, we would love to hear from you.
Queries: We prefer to be contacted via email, and we strive to answer each email query in a timely manner. However, we have an extremely strong anti-spam filter, so if you do not hear back from us within a week or so, please try again. Also, like every other agent in the literary business, we do not accept unsolicited phone calls from writers. Please do not put us in an uncomfortable situation by calling us unless we request you to do so. Email us your query.
Please understand that we do not open or reply to emails containing attachments or photos. If you expect our reply, do not send us such a query. Further, we do not accept submissions of writer's manuscripts via email. They must be sent snail-mail in hard copy.
Our interests: With fiction, we're always looking for entertaining adventures, thrilling mysteries, believable characters with rich dialog, and plots that provide an enjoyable and engaging journey. We are especially interested in women's fiction. Fiction queries should be emailed to agent Melinda Royer.
With nonfiction, we represent all well-written subjects that, if published, would have a broad reader interest. Nonfiction queries should be emailed to agent Eric Bollinger.
We do not accept, represent, or have interest in Screenplays, Science Fiction, Horror, Gay/Lesbian, New Age, Poetry, Short Stories, Young Adult, Cookbooks or Children's manuscripts.
We do not handle self-published books that have been assigned an ISBN and have been marketed to the trade.
Also, since U.S. publishers wish their authors to actively promote their books in the United States, we do not represent writers who reside outside of the United States.
Should we sell your work to a publisher who wishes support from us with sub-rights sales, we will actively work to market the book's foreign rights, the mass market paperback rights, and with fiction, the rights to the television or motion picture industry.
Our standard contract is for six (6) months, and you may review our contract prior to making your submission to us by clicking through to our "Services and Fees" webpage above.
For a detailed list of our foreign co-agents country-by-country, please feel free to email us and request their names.
Also found in "References and News" is the history of our own publishing house, McKenna Publishing Group, founded immediately following the terrorist attack of 9/11 in 2001. We started MPG to publish one book. That book, by a Washington, D.C. terrorism expert, described the threat to the West from Islamic terrorism. Contrary to what some Internet watchdogs claim, our publishing company is not a vanity publishing house, nor does it have any conflict of interest with our literary agency. Again, for a detailed history of MPG, please click through to "References and News."
Sligo Literary Agency has never, ever, charged a writer a reading or any other fee. If you hear that we have, it is simply not true and we would appreciate a quick email telling us who claims we do charge a fee. And to verify that, our contract is here on our website for all to read.
What to send us if we ask to see your manuscript:
- Include our email correspondence so we will recall who you are and what you're written.
- Include a one page synopsis of your ms.
- If you wish your entire ms returned to you should that be necessary, include a SASE with enough postage affixed and an envelope large enough to hold it. If you only wish our reply, include a #10 SASE. Affix the postage to the SASE.
- Do not send us your ms in a box. Use a USPS Priority Mailer Pouch. Do not use metered postage if good only on the date of purchase.
- Do not send us a check or cash to cover the return postage. Affix the correct amount of postage to your return SASE.
- Send a copy only. Items are frequently lost in the mail.
- Do not send your ms to our agency certified, registered or in any other manner in which our staff must sign for it. If you do, it will be refused and returned to you unopened.
- Do not bind your manuscript in any fashion.
- Double-space your manuscript on one side of the page only. Please do not waste paper by using large font to create a long submission. We'd prefer a few hundred pages to 500 pages.
- Please follow our submission guidelines and make a professional submission.
Note: Always include your email address for our use in corresponding with you concerning your submission status.
You may email your query letter to email@example.com, and you may submit your work to:
425 Poa Place, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
A final word regarding our country's current financial situation: Like the entertainment industry, the past few years have brought huge financial losses to the publishing world. And this has hit the corporate New York City publishers harder than some of the mid to smaller publishing houses.
The days of six figure advances to new authors are gone. And in many cases, a first-time author is far better off going with a smaller publisher who will outwork a major house to sell copies of your book.
If we offer you a contract of representation, be realistic. That's the best advice we can offer.
- Eric G. Bollinger, Founder and Nonfiction Agent
- Melinda Royer, Fiction Agent
- Wanda Shaw, Foreign Rights/Author Royalties
- Joel Gotler at Intellectual Property Group, Los Angeles, CA, Motion Picture and Dramatic Co-Agent
Sligo Literary Agency
Our Mailing Address: 425 Poa Place, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405.
Note: Please, no phone calls. We prefer to be contacted by email unless you are a signed client.
|Send comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Sligo Literary Agency, LLC. 2001 All Rights Reserved